In 2013, I founded RPJ Scientific Communications – a communications company based out of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. RPJ Scientific provides freelance writing, editing and consulting services to help clients effectively communicate concepts and advances in the sciences, medicine, healthcare and agriculture. As the sole proprietor of RPJ Scientific, I am committed to producing high quality documents that meet rigorous standards and provide clear, engaging scientific content.
I created RPJ Scientific Communications in response to the growing need for freelance writers and editors who have in-depth knowledge of scientific disciplines. I earned a PhD in Cardiovascular Sciences from the University of Calgary, Canada, and continued my cardiovascular research as a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard Medical School. I received a BSc from McMaster University’s Biology and Pharmacology Co-operative Education Program, during which time I completed internships with Health Canada and Cardiome Pharma Corp.
I have 10+ years experience writing and editing scientific content for government, academia and the private sector. I have published numerous first-author research papers, edited scientific manuscripts across a broad range of disciplines for clients around the world, contributed to multi-centre federal grant applications, written research reports to granting agencies, and have drafted evidence-based strategic reports for industry. I have also authored several successful scholarship and fellowship applications to prestigious Canadian granting institutions.
Key experience and expertise
- Over ten years experience in scientific writing and editing
- Doctoral and post-doctoral research experience
- Experience writing scientific content for academia, industry and the private sector
- Proven track record with industry reports, scientific manuscripts, research grants, reporting to granting agencies, abstracts, research talks, conference posters
- Extensive experience in ESL/ESOL editing
Education and continuing education
- B.Sc., Honours Biology and Pharmacology Co-operative Education, McMaster University (Hamilton, Canada)
- Ph.D., Cardiovascular and Respiratory Sciences, University of Calgary (Calgary, Canada)
- American Medical Writers Association Essential Skills Certificate Workshops (Statistics, Medical Terminology, Presentation of Tables and Graphs, Ethics)
- Certificate (with Distinction), Writing in the Sciences, Stanford (Online)
- Continuing Education, Medical Writing II: Promotional and Continuing Health Education, Concordia University (Montreal, Canada)
To download a pdf of my full CV, click here.
To learn more about my clients and projects, click here.
To view samples of my written work, click here.